• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Wisconsin AEH, Unusual

K-Tron

Registered
It looks like a normal civilian model AEH with all of the bells and whistles to me. I would like to see some more pictures of the radio shielded ignition. It looks like someone got creative and used a radio shielded wire and plug cover from a Briggs & Stratton. To my knowledge Wisconsin never setup an engine with a sparkplug cover. The military engines had aviation style plugs with real radio shielding down to the special Fairbanks Morse magnetos. It is hard to say what your engine could have powered. What does the end of the crankshaft look like. Is that section on the end tapered and threaded?

Chris

Larry K

Registered
The crankshaft is straight. The end is 3/4 inch and then the section closes to the engine is 1 inch. Thanks.

ulgydog56

Registered
nice, I had a 10 hp Wisconsin with starter hydo pump it was on a Friday cultivating tractor should have never sold that tractor...:bonk:

K-Tron

Registered
Mike, Is that the engine I sent you the craigslist link for in central Ohio? It did not look like it had an outboard ring gear from the pictures in the listing. That is a great find. I do not know exactly what that engine came off of, but may have been a power buggy with electric start. That engine must have great compression, or a lot of hours on it to wear the starter gear like that.

Chris

Doug Tallman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2019
From what I've seen, if the engine was factory equipped with the starter and gen that they also used a distributor and coil instead of the mag.

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Mike, Is that the engine I sent you the craigslist link for in central Ohio? It did not look like it had an outboard ring gear from the pictures in the listing.

Chris
This is the engine from that link. I’ll have to turn it over and see if the bad teeth on the ring gear coincides with the compression stroke. The rest of the engine is in beautiful shape.j

Zira

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
03/21/2020
From what I've seen, if the engine was factory equipped with the starter and gen that they also used a distributor and coil instead of the mag.
I have seen engines with starters connected by belt to pulley's and magneto ignitions, but not many. I don't recall seeing an engine with a starter-generator that had a magneto ignition.

I have also seen engines with a ring gear and starter that had magneto ignitions, mostly the later S-series engines.

Someone with the spec-list microfiche & a lot of time on their hands could probably tell us for sure.

gdstew

Registered
"Someone with the spec-list microfiche & a lot of time on their hands could probably tell us for sure."

Just so happens I might be able to handle that, but first, I need the spec number!

Actually been pretty busy in my "retirement" years