• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Wisconsin AGND starter

limekiln

Registered
I have a early 60's AGND model. Would like to make my life a little easier and put an electric start on her. Been looking around a bit to find an old engine for parts and having no luck. Any suggestions?

RSCurtis

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/20/2013
Make sure the magneto is working properly, that it has compression, and that the relief spring on the choke butterfly is not broken and that will be the easiest starting engine you've ever seen. Is it crank start or rope start?

Phil P

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/24/2013
Hi

I never saw a rope start AGND but I have seen pictures of a Ditch Witch that had a AGND with a Ditch Witch rope start on it.

My AGND manual doesn’t show a rope start. However Wisconsin does have a rewind starter kit as well as the electric starter.

Does your engine have a ring gear on the flywheel?

RSCurtis is correct. If everything is working that engine starts very easy.

Phil P

K-Tron

Registered
I have an electric and crank start AGND off a YR-48 Yazoo mower. It starts in 1 crank just about everytime. Like its big brother the AHHD, it is a very easy starting engine when it is tuned correctly. Converting your engine to electric start is not a simple or cheap process. You need a different flywheel, shroud, regulator, rectifier, flywheel alternator, a starter motor, ammeter, push button starter and a mount. It adds up pretty quick. Unless you have a broken arm, or a bad back, I would remove the front crank nut and thread on an aluminum rope sheath. When properly tuned, that engine will start quite effortlessly.

Chris

RSCurtis

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/20/2013
You can also use the rope sheath to start it by hand- you don't need a rope.

limekiln

Registered
It is not my engine. Doing this for a friend. Need to spin a fly wheel to try and get her going. This is a stationary engine used to pump water out of a pond. The same owner for fifty years. He has started it hundreds of times but would like to put an electric start on it.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

crank start