• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Wisconsin BKN valve adjustment

Bloppy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
I am feeling a little dumb right about now. Last month I adjusted valves on my 1966 AENLD with no problem. So I figured I would do the same on my 1973 BKN but I did not see any jamb nuts when I removed the 1 bolt plate. What am I missing here?
Jim

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
If there aren't any jamb nuts, the threads are self locking and don't need them. Do they turn hard?

gdstew

Registered
The tappets are not adjustable. To adjust the valves, you need to remove them and carefully grind off the bottom of the stem. If you go too far, cut the seat a little lower. Which if you are going to do all that, you might as well reface the valve and cut the seat.

Bloppy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
That would make sense after looking behind the valve spring plate. I was just looking to do a good tune up. I guess at this time,I will forget the valve adjustment. Thanks for the information.
Jim

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Have you got any clearance in the valves now? If they are too tight, it won't run right.

Bloppy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
They are not too tight. I felt they had a little too much clearance. Not the magnetic feel I feel they should have with the feeler gauge.
Jim