• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

wisconsin BKND

shiftlessguy

Registered
Got the head off today,pretty clean inside,was bored out 20 thou.
Do a little valve lappin on the intake first and play with the lash.Ex valve will take a lite grind followed by some lappin playin again with lash,order up a head gasket and check out mag a bit too since its off.Plenty of meat left on valves,clean'em up and check'em out

shiftlessguy

Registered
Gotter buttoned up today,couldnt get ex valve as close as i wanted .018 as i didnt want to keep grinding seat,be easier to replace valve and go from there
.Intake is spot on
Coupla minor things to finnish and pull it off. Hopefully she'll run strong.
C

shiftlessguy

Registered
Well started up the Wis today,no change.Still has to have choke on to run.Back to the carb I guess.Turn gov down a bit more,put carb in vibra tank with soapy water and a bit of vinegar,check float again,see what happens after that.Carb screws are at 1.25-1.5 turns on each,see if I have a diff spark plug from one of my other engines.I dunno

K-Tron

Registered
If the choke has to be on for the engine to run, there is either a bad intake gasket somewhere preventing the suction of fuel, or a plugged jet in your carburetor. Try the idle jet at 1/2 turn and the main adjustment screw at 1-1/2. If the magneto is good it will run but smoke heavily even on an over-fueled condition.

Chris

shiftlessguy

Registered
Probably intake gasket as I used pretty thin gasket material.I will put just the jets in vibra tank maybe shake something loose then 2 body pieces,see what happens