• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Wisconsin Engine Repair Shops

Maytag.Fixer

Registered
Does anyone know of any repair shops around Northern Indiana/Southern Michigan who would be able to rebuild a Wisconsin VF4?

I have one right now, that is nothing more than a few boxes of parts and a block. I'd try to put it together myself, but without the proper tools, I do not want to mess anything up.

Thanks

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Re: Wisconsin engine repair shops

Other than a valve spring compressor there are no special tools needed to overhaul these engines.
Don't be surprised if a shop will want about $3000 to rebuild it.

Maytag.Fixer

Registered

So you wouldn't consider being able to grind/re-finish a crankshaft/camshaft a specialty tool/operation? I realize they are simple engines, and I have repaired a few in the past, but this particular engine has been apart for who knows how long, and there is rust everywhere. In this case, sandblasting won't get me anywhere.

As for cost, the guy who owns the equipment the motor will go into won't care about paying about $2000 or so to have it built. Better than buying a modern engine that isn't correct, or having me put it together just to have it fail.

Maytag.Fixer

Registered

Ozlander, there is a complete engine, just fully disassembled with some new replacement parts included

dalmatiangirl61, I have a repair book already. I work with these engines on a regular basis, but I do not have the proper tools at my disposal to properly rebuild one that has been apart for ages.

If, at the least, I could get the crankshaft and camshaft refinished, then I could assemble everything myself. But, if I get them sent out for refinishing, then I might as well send the rest of the engine to a shop and have them do the asssembly.

Phil P

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/24/2013

HI

I use to rebuild them and we did everything accept the crankshaft grind. If you get one of the old manuals that has the pictures and instructions for the grinding process any automotive machine shop with a crank grinder can do the job.

Phil P

tmg50

Registered

HI. Any good engine shop should be able to regrind the crank if it is not too far gone. You may be able to find some one to regrind the cam too. You could even try a speed shop or an industrial engine rebuilder to help you.

EngineMasters

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/06/2014
If you are still looking, here at Enginemasters in New Lenox, IL, we still rebuild Wisconsin engines everyday.

815-485-4545
enginemastersinc.com
or
V4wisconsin.com

boone007

Registered
does anyone know of any repair shops around northern indiana/southern michigan who would be able to rebuild a wisconsin vf4?

I have one right now, that is nothing more than a few boxes of parts and a block. I'd try to put it together myself, but without the proper tools, i do not want to mess anything up.

Thanks
lowell rethlake 1-812-614-2651