• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Wisconsin THD crank-start alternative

albngore

Registered
I hope I'm in the correct forum. I have a wonderful Wisconsin THD on a log splitter I built, but as I get older that hand-cranking becomes difficult. Wondering if there is some way to use a hand-held electric motor, or drill, or something instead of hand-cranking?

I was considering using an old, large 1/2" drill and machining a shaft that could chuck into it and also fit the flywheel. However, don't I need some kind of over-running clutch on the shaft for safety? I'm sure others have looked for alternatives to hand cranking.

I'm a brand new guy here, so I hope I'm doing this right. Thanks, Brad.

Bill Sherlock

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Brad,

Can't advise on the method you're proposing to start your engine but thought I'd mention that there's a Wisconsin THD with electric start on ebay at the moment. (Item number: 7582927006)

Bill

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Wisconson engines used 2 different kinds of starters. One is like a conventional auto starter, with a bendix drive that engages teeth in the flywheel. The other uses a starter - generater, belt driven off a large pully mounted in front of the cooling housing, on the crank. The belt drive starter cranks the engine, and them makes power to recharge the battery, after the engine starts. the starter - gen is a delco unit.
Andrew:D

Shootist357

Registered
albngore said:
I hope I'm in the correct forum. I have a wonderful Wisconsin THD on a log splitter I built, but as I get older that hand-cranking becomes difficult. Wondering if there is some way to use a hand-held electric motor, or drill, or something instead of hand-cranking?

I was considering using an old, large 1/2" drill and machining a shaft that could chuck into it and also fit the flywheel. However, don't I need some kind of over-running clutch on the shaft for safety? I'm sure others have looked for alternatives to hand cranking.

I'm a brand new guy here, so I hope I'm doing this right. Thanks, Brad.

Here's a little trick I use...not sure if it will work on something as big as a THD, but you never know. I have a 1/2" heavy duty electric drill with a 1/2" ratchet extension chucked up. I hook this to a ratchet adapter for a breaker bar with a suitable coupling for the motor shaft. By starting up the drill, it cranks until the engine fires, then the engine overruns the ratchet mechanism. I simply pull back on the drill once the engine is running, and pull the ratchet extension out of the adapter...Kind of like a starter for a Indy race car.