• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Wisconsin THD Dipstick

Larry Evans

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
Should the dipstick be screwed in to get an accurate oil level reading or just inserted to where the threads start?

Thanks,
Larry

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
My very old (Magneto supplement is dated 1959) manual is not really clear on that matter.
Based on the diagram of the oiling system, I would say that level should be checked with the filler cap / dip stick screwed down. I would also keep the oil level as close to the FULL mark as possible.

Attachments

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Right or wrong when it comes to screw in dip sticks I always check with the dipstick NOT screwed in. I kinda figured a little extra oil is better than not enough! Good question though! I have always questioned it myself.

K-Tron

Registered
If you pull the oil pan, and thread the dipstick in place, you will see how much oil is present in the pan at the full mark. On the THD that is about level with the top of the pan. When you crank the engine over the full length of the connecting rod cap dippers are in the oil. Putting too much oil in the engine will cause more damage than good. I always fill and check my engines with the dipstick threaded in.

Chris

Troll

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/10/2017
I ran my Hobart G-213 welder 44 years till selling it this spring. I always checked the oil with the dipstick screwed in as it normally resided. Engine was a TJD but THD uses the same procedure.

Larry Evans

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
Thanks for the replies - so far it seems to be 3 to 1 in favor of screwing the dipstick all the way in.

I posted the question because all the factory literature I looked at did not seem to address the issue and my own gut feeling was to screw it all the way in so that the dipstick placement would be consistent from one time to the next. Of course checking the oil level is never an exact process due to other variables such as engine temperature, whether or not the engine is level, etc.

Thanks again,
Larry