• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Wisconsin THD Stator question

laserfixr

Registered
I have an old Wisconsin TJD that has an internal ground connection halfway between the two stator output wires. My separate regulator (YJ60) and separate rectifier module (YJ68) are both bad but the stator outputs 46 VAC when running, Can you recommend an all in one regulator-rectifier module to use and how to wire it up to my center tapped stator windings? Thanks very much.

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Try something like this, cheap and reliable. Pink and yellow to the stator wires. Green ground, red to the battery. It'll give you 13.7 to about 14.5 volts to the battery depending on the design. Fuse the red DC output at 10 amps.
If you find one with three yellow wires from a 3 phase bike, just use two yellows to the stator.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...m362b22eeb8:g:K9AAAOSwlFdadB11&frcectupt=true

Attachments

Paw

Registered
I have a tjd with the same problem. The stator has three wires (two ac's and a red one) and is probably 25 or 30 amps. I bought a yj70a module as a dealer-recommended substitute for the obsolete individual ones. When I looked at circuit diagrams using the yj70a, they showed two wire stators only. Please, does anyone know if the yj70a can in any way be used with the three wire stator? Can the universal regulator recommended in the previous post be used with my three wire stator? Can it handle the higher amperage?

Paw

Registered
Thanks to I LIKE OLD STUFF for the reply. I had already referred to the wisconsinmotorscanada site before posting and that's where some of my confusion comes from. My stator is 5/8" thick and engine serial is 6257046 so I'm looking at the second last system described on that site which according to the heading is 25 amps and to the text is 30 amps. When I look at the last system described, the one with the single module, the text says the three wires of the stator clip onto the three spade terminals of the module but the diagram shows only two stator wires and the center terminal of the module going to the ammeter. Do I dare hook up the red stator wire to the center terminal and to the mmeter? Or what would happen if left it open? I'm reluctant to experiment without knowing lest I ruin components.

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
I haven't bothered to find a stator schematic so I don't know for sure what the three wires do. Mayhaps you can dig one up for it and post it up and that'll show us what it does.

Another thing to try is to just measure the voltage on each wire when it's running at speed. If two have similar AC voltage lemme guess around 30-50V and the third is something odd, It's a single phase full wave stator. The third wire I don't know without seeing a drawing.

If all three put out the same AC I'd call it a 3 phase system. Then you'd need a 3 phase regulator rectifier.

Start digging and see whacha come up with.