• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Wisconsin TJD Questions About Converting To Natural Gas

The Doctor

Registered
I have a Winco 10KW generator powered by a Wisconsin TJD. Engine runs 3600 RPM constantly, no idle when unloaded, in case this makes a difference in the answers. Electric start by generator, with hand crank for backup. I understand I will only have ~8KW on NG. I have several questions about the “best” method of converting in terms of power, ease of starting, and fuel consumption. I thank you in advance for your help.

1. There seems to be 3 (maybe) methods of conversion. Add-on venturi, dual-fuel carb, and “air valve” mixer such as Impco CA55. What are the pros/cons of each?

2. Would it be proper to use a KN demand regulator with an Impco CA55? How is the mixture (at high power) adjusted on 1 of these mixers?

3. With a venture or dual-fuel carb, do you just adjust the mixture for best power, same as pump gas?

4. Is there any recommendation to change (advance) the timing for natural gas use? How will it affect hand crank starting, if the battery is dead?

5. Does anybody on here have/know of any original NG/dual fuel setups for THD/TJD for sale?

And a few general engine questions, if you don't mind.

1. Where is the best place to buy Wisconsin parts? Magneto parts?

2. Any spares you recommend keeping on hand? I'm thinking maybe head gasket, governor spring, what else?

3. This will be used as a backup generator, meaning no idea when it will be used. I'm in NJ, so it could be running at 15° to 100°F. I'm thinking a high quality semi-synthetic 10W30 such as Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 would be a good choice for year round operation, your thoughts?

4. Do valves need periodic adjustment on these engines, or just at assembly?

Thanks
Ed