• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Wisconsin VH4D Crank

RedneckRothrock

Registered
Hello, I am new to all this "forum stuff" but registered because I saw a lot of good info being exchanged.
I am working on a Wisconsin VH4D out of a M-610 Bobcat Skidsteer. Am I correct that Bobcat had Wisconsin put a different crank in this engine to accommodate their funky clutch? The crank is wiped and I have not seen any cranks available with this short tapered end. Anyone know where I can find one? Anyone ever heard of a machine shop cutting down & tappering a standard crank? I had a machine shop offer to try but I am skeptical.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
By wiped, do you mean the journals are scored undersized? If so, the crank can be welded up and then cut back to original specs. Trying to machine the end of a regular crank may or may not work, depending on how hard the metal is on your crank.

DCAmp

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/17/2020
I am not sure but the crank may be the same as in a generator. We bought a gen engine and had to have a tapered adp. made to install a pully. Any good machine shop should be able to turn the crank and thread it. I have a 610 bobcat also.

gdstew

Registered
Wisconsin made lots of different cranks, so many that they actually furnished their dealers with crankshaft drawings. Since it would take months to get a crank from the factory, we were suppose to buy a standard crank, get the correct drawing, and take it to the local machine shop. The cranks were stamped with a variation number on the counterweight.

As noted above, you can have a lot of work done on the original before you need to buy a new one.

RedneckRothrock

Registered
Thanks for the info!
I am currently waiting on the machine shop for a verdict on the crank but their main concern is finding undersize bearings. A quick mearsure shows the bad journal at 20 under before we start. They also had a concern about welding it up because it is the forward most journal and with the crank only having the 2 mains putting a lot of heat at one end makes them nervous [+ they dont do that there]. Sounds reasonable to me but if anyone wants to share their experience with welding them up I would like to hear it. I have never seen the process done.

edward moller

Registered
if you can get me part# & varriant # stamped on the back of the shaft counterweight. i have a dealer listing of all the popular crankshaft drawings that where available. from acn to v465 engines.

edward moller

Registered
those old cranks are able to be welded up many times, you need to find a company that specilizes in rebuilding shafts. i have had them weld many times.

EngineMasters

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/06/2014
We do a lot of Wisconsin rebuilds. Back in the day we had a couple welded, they all broke within 60 days. We might not have had the right guy weld them as it is common practice to have them welded with other engines. I wouldn't have it welded.

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I've seen a lot of military surplus VH4D's with the short tapered shaft, and sold lots of them years ago to folks needing Bobcat engines.

If you can find a straight shaft crank, any machine shop worthy of the name, should be able to put a taper on it.

Many years ago I worked in a shop welding cranks all day long, pretty sure I did a few Wisconsins, no idea how they faired in service:shrug:

RedneckRothrock

Registered
Edward, the part # is CA71A cast in the rear counterweight and there is a #14 cast across from it. A "Q" is stamped in the center counterweight and I'm guessing the Q is the varriant? This crank will take over 30 to clean up and the best I can find is 20 bearings. I am looking for a good standard crank to have turned down so if you can find drawings that would be great. Thanks for the info & help!

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

When I picked up my crank from the machine shop I got more on the "welding" story. This shop does weld cranks but they are very selective in what they will weld. Because the VH4D does not have a center support bearing if it warps they have no way of knowing and no reference for straightening. Again this sounds reasonable and makes me wonder if that is why Enginemasters had all the attempts break. Anyway I would rather turn then weld because it is for a customer. Thanks all again for the info!

RedneckRothrock

Registered
Edward & anyone else in the know, please dont think im a total idiot! I was looking again this morning and right where you told me the varriant # would be THERE IT WAS. Dont know how I missed it! -222 is stamped right there on the rear counterweight.

edward moller

Registered
good day, i believe that i do have a drawing of that crankshaft, if you can get me a mailing address i will send it to you via snail mail. i can 't get the hang of sending stuuf on this thang. BIG ED

PhilBurandt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/09/2020
I have been told that if you bore one of these engines out to .060 the increased compression and power will break the crank. I have a 610 bobcat. with this engine in it and turned the end of the crank to fit the taper in the pulley. Breaking the crank is not that uncommon on these engines.

DCAmp

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/17/2020
I have done good rebuilds on the Vf4's but have never broken a crank. I have seen the end of the crank on the flywheel end bend an 1/8" when I pulled the speed up fast. It was not long putting a new bottom end in.