• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Witte BD or CD Fuel Pump

Chuck Moss

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/29/2020
Can somebody out there tell me what currently available fuel pump (transfer pump, not injection pump) will fit a Witte BD or CD? Whole pump or a rebuild kit. Only numbers I could find on the installed AC pump was 1537103.

Thanks,
Chuck

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
I could use the info too - my pump is missing parts and I think the diaphragm is also shot.
thanks

Grigg

Registered
I'd also like to know. It's often mentioned that they're common AC Delco pumps but I haven't seen posted the details, part numbers, or alternate applications.

I did dig up a service manual for lots of AC fuel pumps and the basic "Series AF" is covered, start on page 50.
https://ia600204.us.archive.org/9/items/TechnicalManualTm9-1828aFuelPumps/Tm9-1828aFuelPumps1952.pdf

For rebuild kits these two sources turn up, I have zero experience with either, don't know if one or the other is better or different, or perhaps there is an even better yet source?
http://www.then-now-auto.com/
http://cowboyjohnsautoparts.com/antique-car-rebuild-kits/fuel-pump-rebuild-kits.html

The pumps resemble those found on the 50's GM 6 cylinders I have and I've swapped around the top housing with glass filter bowl before, 6 screws, not difficult at all. You can, or could last I tried, buy a new pump at NAPA (flat top) and swap the old filter housing top to the brand new pump.
The lever or finger however is different, much longer on the Witte pump than the Stovebolt 6, but these can also be swapped around.
Interesting to know if this long lever on the Witte version is used on any other application of these fuel pumps or a special Witte only part?

Grigg

D. Johnson

Registered
I'll check my pump information out tonight and will post the information in a day or two.
So check back soon.

David Johnson
Witte Mania

D. Johnson

Registered
OK, here is what I found.

Witte used an AC Fuel Lift Pump P/N: 6440101.
Witte P/N: 47604715. So if you can find a rebuild kit for this model, you have it made.

If no, maybe this will help.

Witte P/N: Description AC P/N:
47317775 Diaphragm 6414564
47005145 Spring, Rocker 1522046
47000262 Spring, Dia. 1521648
47317778 Oil Seal 6415404
47317780 Valve Assy. 5593866

Not sure if these are still good numbers but it's a start.

David Johnson
Witte Mania

Chuck Moss

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/29/2020
I am getting confused on information applicable to the BD, CD, & the earlier MD. So, let me post what I know, for whatever it may be worth to others trying to solve their own puzzle(s):

1. The pump on my 1959 or so BD is marked with cast in numbers on the interior of the pump with the number 1537103, which falls in the range of numbers in Grigg's post, but doesn't exactly match.

2. It also has the number 9244 stamped into the edge of the mounting flange. I was asked for the number on the flange by an internet source of pump rebuilding & kits, but his response ran along the lines of not every having one of those come through, but if I'd send the pump he would build a kit or rebuild the pump as I desired.

3. My BD & CD parts manual show the pump with a Witte p/n of 6047-1. Dates of the manuals is unknown to me. Both manuals show the same component p/n's typically of the format of 4-9-X.

4. The pump on my BD has a bowl on top of the pump, and it's outlet is connected to a p/n 7222-A fuel filter assembly. The CD parts list shows the filter p/n of 7222.

All of the above is relevant to the BD and CD, I don't know about the MD. However, I note that the fuel tank to pump line for the CD carries a parts listing p/n of MD-679-3 that suggests that the hookup for the pump may be in the same place in the MD as the CD. Just a guess on my part...

Chuck

PS. Sorry if the picture came out rotated, it went in vertical, suggest rotate head as required! LOL

Attachments

D. Johnson

Registered
Hello Andrew,
I have a few lift pump parts available.
Send me an email of what your needing and I will see what I can offer.

wittemania@cox.net

---------- Post added at 09:11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50:15 PM ----------

Hello Chuck,

Witte KD, MD, BD and CD engines all used the same lift pump.
But a few real early KD and MD models used an internal lift system.
You mentioned an old Witte P/N 6047-1. In my reply, I mention the newer P/N 47604715.
If you look close you'll se the old number imbedded into the newer part number.
47 6047-1 5.

Just an FYI.

Chuck Moss

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/29/2020
David,

Thanks for the information! I'd noticed that somewhere along the line there was a change in the Witte p/n scheme. Both my (obtained from your) undated BD Repair Parts List and my 8 July 1950 CD Maintenance Parts List use the "old" method. I hadn't noted the embedding of the old p/n in the new p/n's you had identified for the pump.

I notice that the embedding apparently didn't happen for the "Cross Reference List for Witte Engine Works to American Bosch Numbers (Units and Parts)" that you posted some time ago. It shows quite a few of the p/n's starting with the same "47-" as new number for the fuel pump.

Which leads to a curiosity question or two.

1. Can you shed any light on when the part number change happened?

2. Patterns or philosophy behind the change?

3. Do you know of any other cross reference information?

I'm a bit of a geek on p/n's, partly because they can give hints as to when, and sometimes why changes were made. Any insight will be appreciated!

Chuck

D. Johnson

Registered
Chuck,

OK, on November 1952 Witte started using a new part number listing. Here's what I found out.

Pre 1952 Witte Fuel Lift P/N: 6047-1.
November 1952, Witte New P/N: 157-91-9A.
Oilwell purchased Witte and started using Commodity P/N: 47-604-715.
Arrow Engine Company purchased Oilwell and started using P/N: 47604715.

Well that's what I know. Oh yes, somewhere in this mess, Lister owned Witte for a short period of time. But I have no information in my archive's.

Grigg

Registered
Is there a cross reference list available that covers all parts through these transitions?

Or a current parts diagram(s) and list for Witte diesel engines and parts presently or recently available from Arrow?

Thanks,

Grigg

D. Johnson

Registered
Yes a cross reference manual was available from Oilwell at one time, but they are very very rare and hard to find. I am a lucky owner of one of these manuals.

It contains about 125 pages of p/n cross references and even list a superseded p/n list.
I have not digitized this manual, and im not sure if and when I plan on doing so.

I injoy collect Witte Diesel manuals and documentation. I have digitizing most of my collection, and before I kick the bucket, I plan on donating my collection to a lucky gas engine museum.

smokewitte

Registered
hi everyone im just starting to work on my witte CD 12.5 hp i have removed the lift pump and here is somme picturs of it in case anyone wondering about exact numbers i think the pump is never replaced but it still working , so numbers are (ac 1523089) over this link