• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Witte Diesel Genset Question

RobertT

Registered
I recently got a Witte 4 HP vertical Diesel that powers a 3 kW generator. The picture below is from the internet but it shows a few parts that are different from mine. I'm trying to figure out if mine's missing the parts or if it's just a different model. My engine does not have the device inside the red circle. Can someone please tell me what it is and was it included on all of the AD model Diesels? Also, I don't have that rectangular housing on top of the flywheel. What is it and is it necessary or again, do I just have a different model? Thank you!

Question by bobthomasson, on Flickr

GeneratorGus

Registered
It's the fuel filter. If yours doesn't have one, it may be an early model ? Or possibly later?
It consists of a bunch of very thin discs with a very fine comb that supposedly combs the debris out of the fuel. It probably wasn't very efficient by todays standards. So maybe it was eliminated for a cartridge type setup.
Just supposing.
I have an EAD and had a LD, both had the filter.
GUS

Attachments

RobertT

Registered
GUS, Thank you. I'll look it over for another fuel filter and add one if needed. The water jacket had a large crack right there that someone welded up. They may have removed the fuel filter in the process of repairing the crack. One of the ugliest welds I've ever seen and I'm going to grind it down and re-do it. I hope with better results.

My engine came from a remote Nevada ranch and has not run for awhile. Just getting started on it and checking the generator windings. Cylinder bore has a slight ridge and I think I should replace the rings if I can find a source for them.

What about that cover above the flywheel housing, do you know what's under it? I don't have that cover or anything at all there.

Thanks again!

GeneratorGus

Registered
The cover thing, is part of the control panel. There are some pictures on the previous Witte diesel post. Nothing was there that is really necessary, except the starter button. If you want copies of the manual pages that cover operating the genset. PM your address, I'll send them to you.

GeneratorGus

Registered
Looks to be in fairly good shape. Some years back, I bought a pair of 4hp Atlas gensets that sat outside for 40 years. They looked much worse than yours. I got them both running.
There is more than likely a battery charging resistor setup in that panel somewhere. Again, not totally necessary, depending on what your going to use the generator for. Keep floundering away, you'll get there.
For the rings, try Otto, look in the sponsors link. Nice guy to deal with.
GUS

RobertT

Registered
Thanks Gus. I appreciate your attitude that it's in pretty good shape. Some guys don't appreciate what can be done to an old machine with not much more than elbow grease. I'm going to see if I can find out some more about its history.

GeneratorGus

Registered
Robert, unless your going for a full blown restoration, before ripping into everything, I would first see if maybe it will run with a quick clean up.

Drain the oil, pull the side cover off and take a look at the insides. It may give you a view of how well it was maintained. Look for metal chips or flakes in the sludge, tug the conn rod around and see if three's a lot of play and so on.
Check the wiring and fix any frayed stuff, also give the brushes a look see.
Parts for these are not easy to come by and usually come from donor engines. If things looks fairly good, put the head back on lube the engine. These old guys used non detergent oil, popularly known as compressor oil these days.
Try priming the fuel system and give it a whirl. IT MAY SURPISE YOU.
Almost forgot, if you need a new head gasket, try Gaskets to Go, they may even have a pattern already.

RobertT

Registered
Thanks Gus. I think we’re sort of on the same page. I don't plan on a complete restoration. First step is going to be checking the generator windings ans as you suggested, brushes. When I first got it home I tried the starter and got a loud click and that’s all so I nave to deal with a starter issue. I should be able to figure it out. Engine turns OK by hand.

Bob

RobertT

Registered
Finally made the time to work on the old Witte EAD. The crankcase was absolutely clean, a layer of kind of thick oil in the bottom but I think that was just from sitting for I don't know how many years. No metal in the oil. I took the head apart and the intake valve is badly worn, I think too far gone to be ground back into shape. Surprisingly the exhaust valve looks fine, just needs some cleaning up.

Does anyone know where I might find a replacement intake valve? I suppose worst case I can find a valve with the same stem diameter and machine or grind the rest of it to match the Witte valve. Maybe. I would sure appreciate any suggestions where to find an intake valve. Haven't measured them but the intake and exhaust valves appear to be identical.

Thanks,
Bob

RobertT

Registered
Here are a couple of before and after pictures of the generator. Everything seems to be coming along fine, with the exception of the cylinder head. It needs a new intake valve, plus the valve guide is busted off under the spring. Probably been that way for a long time but I should also probably replace it. Found an L head Jeep valve that should work with some cutting and trimming.Rotor After.jpgRotor Before.jpg