• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Wizard Magneto problems

L

Larry Holderman

I have been working on a Rock Island 2hp for sometime. The magneto and the ignitor have been rebuilt by a longtime GEM advertiser. If you take the wire off the ignitor and ground it and run the ignitor with a coil box it runs and while it is runing switch over to the ignitor nothing.... I have it tripping to its max just before it trips according to the marks on the end of the mag armature shaft and just below TDC. On top of the mag there is an adjustment that has a screw in it that when the mag trips it comes back and breaks the points. How do I know if Ihave the correct adjustment?? The next thing is I put a AC volt meter on the mag and only get 3v the best I can read with the meter with a needle on it. I tried a digital and it can't read it fast enough. Is there another kind of meter that I need to read this better when it trips?? Is there someone on the list that can help me out???:confused:

Larry R. Holderman
Warsaw, Indiana

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
Larry Holderman said:
I have it tripping to its max just before it trips according to the marks on the end of the mag armature shaft and just below TDC. On top of the mag there is an adjustment that has a screw in it that when the mag trips it comes back and breaks the points. How do I know if Ihave the correct adjustment?? The next thing is I put a AC volt meter on the mag and only get 3v the best I can read with the meter with a needle on it. I tried a digital and it can't read it fast enough.
Larry R. Holderman
Warsaw, Indiana
Larry:

The adjustment on top should be set so there is a little (0.010" or so) clearance between it and the ignitor arm with the mag at rest. This assures that the ignitor points are closed until the mag swings past centrer and the hammer hits the ignitor arm to open the points momentarily. With the adjustment set-up too close, the mag cannot draw maximum current as it springs back and little or no spark will be generated.

You will only get a small reading on your meter and what your meter shows is about right. Check out this link for more information:

http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand/Otherstuff/LT Scope Pictures/LT Scope Pictures.html

Good luck and take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand