• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

WK40 McCormick - How Many Are out There?

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
Re: WK40 Mccormick - how many are out there?

I can look but it might be tonight, maybe somebody will answer before then. I go by the red diamond truck engine torque specs.

MrBishop1

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019

Anyone know a source for a head gasket?

MrBishop1

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019

Olson Gaskets just sent me a whole gasket set. Wasn't advertised on their site but they had it.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024

Here is one we picked up some years ago, put wheels on it and stuck it in the shed. Have since found a good gas tank and manifold, had to load it like this after the sale. Has a red diamond engine in it with distributor but has the mag mount.
I just remembered I needed to ask about starters, I recall a Minneapolis Moline and a John Deere starter will fit, any part numbers?

Attachments

Mark Schneider

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2018

Russ...sometime I would like a closeup picture of how the throttle linkage got revamped as the stock tractor linkage will not work with a distributor installed.

Starters off of gas powered Oliver 77 and 88 tractors will work...also heard that the early McCormick W-9's that used the 3 bolt mounting flange will also work.

I see that yours has a Red Diamond oil filter base on it which is a nice upgrade as opposed to using the one off of the original FBB298 motor. I'm still on the search for one of these. Not all Red Diamond truck motors used the oil filter base with the filter can in the upright position. Red Diamond Power Units used the correct base but those are even harder to locate.

My W40 project is hung up on the radiator end. The radiator out of cracked block tractor leaked like a lawn sprinkler. The one out of the burnt tractor didn't leak but from what I could see of the cores almost all were plugged with rust. Still have one more to try but it's on a tractor carcass yet.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024

Ill check that out Mark, its not too hard to get to but im chained to work until 6 every week day and its so darn dark lately. There are a few power units around here.:O
Thanks for the starter info, I have it all written down somewhere from years ago but …………….

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024

Russ...sometime I would like a closeup picture of how the throttle linkage got revamped as the stock tractor linkage will not work with a distributor installed.

Starters off of gas powered Oliver 77 and 88 tractors will work...also heard that the early McCormick W-9's that used the 3 bolt mounting flange will also work.

I see that yours has a Red Diamond oil filter base on it which is a nice upgrade as opposed to using the one off of the original FBB298 motor. I'm still on the search for one of these. Not all Red Diamond truck motors used the oil filter base with the filter can in the upright position. Red Diamond Power Units used the correct base but those are even harder to locate.

My W40 project is hung up on the radiator end. The radiator out of cracked block tractor leaked like a lawn sprinkler. The one out of the burnt tractor didn't leak but from what I could see of the cores almost all were plugged with rust. Still have one more to try but it's on a tractor carcass yet.
I took a picture its not too clear but you can see the grab handle type linkage that goes around the distributor. My other 40 was like that also but I changed the shaft after I removed the distributor and put on a magneto.

Attachments

MrBishop1

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019

Does the oil connection for the rocker valve assembly have a nut to cover the top of the oil line and force the oil into the rocker shaft?

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024

Does the oil connection for the rocker valve assembly have a nut to cover the top of the oil line and force the oil into the rocker shaft?
I know the red diamond engine gets oil through one rocker stand through a passage in the head...…….if I remember right. And the front and rear rocker tube have a sleeve in the center to connect each other for the oil flow. Havent had one apart for a long while, and never got to work on a tractor engine.

Mark Schneider

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2018

Yes it has a nut and it is similar to a pipe cap.

1. On the FBB-298 engine there is a hollow head stud located third from the back on the left side. The oil pressure that comes up through this stud is directed into the rocker arm shaft via this special rocker stand with the "eye" on the lower end.

2. #2 on this diagram is the capped head nut that applies pressure on the head gasket and seals the top of the hollow stud.

3. Description of the operation per a 40's vintage I&T shop manual.

Attachments