• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Wolseley Portable Water Pump?

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
We picked up a few engines the other day and one being this early Wolseley screen cooled portable, basically complete with the exception of the circulating pump that's missing? anyone out there familiar with the portables and how they were set up or have a spare pump? also the build type seems unfamiliar as it runs a Bosch 22 flick with volume governing?

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.png5.JPG6.JPG

Last edited:

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
From my limited understanding the pump was on the governor side, towards the tank and was friction driven off the flywheel. Any signs of holes to support this theory?
The engine looks like a style 2 with T-type governor ad some style 3 bits.
What is meant by volume governing?

Cheers Scott

Last edited:

jayvee

Registered
Looks like a Style 2.
This is about all I know:

Governor: Two Versions - Throttle (T Type 20) and Hit & Miss

Fuel: Petrol & Paraffin (Paraffin is also known as paraffin oil and kerosene)

Ignition: Two Versions - Trip (flick/oscillating) Bosch 22 HT Magneto and Thompson Bennett Type AD1 HT Magneto

Spark Plug: OEM Unknown

Carburettor: Wolseley Design

Cooling: Tank

Operating RPM: 3.5 HP – 500 rpm, 5 HP – 400 rpm

OEM Colour: Olive Green

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Hello all
From my limited understanding the pump was on the governor side, towards the tank and was friction driven off the flywheel. Any signs of holes to support this theory?
The engine looks like a style 2 with T-type governor ad some style 3 bits.
What is meant by volume governing?

Cheers Scott
There are holes in the sub base forward of the flywheel on the governor side, the turntable side, and holes at the back on the opposite side, bolt pattern is the same screw thread and spacing either side of the engine, the hand book tells us that the volume governor or hit and miss governor are fully interchangeable and easily converted so this engine may have had a retrofit at some stage? as the intake valve still carry's the hit and miss detent, jayvee mentions they were olive green and the engine has a reasonable amount of the original paint on it, shame the previous owner sand blasted everything else and applied the red oxide, always surprising what turns up, personally I have never seen a early Wolseley screen cooled portable on the full size carriage on the rally field or anywhere else? other than old literature.

Last edited: