• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Woodpecker Engine?

Donnie Hargreaves

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2020
Bought this engine early fall. There is no tag so i don't know hp of engine maybe 31/2 or 4 hp it also has lunkehiemer carb.There are no holes in water hopper to mount gas tank to. Any info would be helpful Thanks

Attachments

Heavy Metal

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
It looks like a woodpecker to me. Not all had the suspended fuel tanks as some I've seen had a tank mounted on the skid in front of the head. You have any pictures of the other side you can share?

Doug Kimball

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
Here's a photo of a repro of an original tank scheme. Have seen them mounted ahead of engine & behind engine.

Attachments

Donnie Hargreaves

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2020
I will post more pitcure's this weekend. With out tag is there a serial no. somewhere on engine. Are there repo tag's being made. Thanks

Heavy Metal

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
I've found the serial number on a few Woodpeckers to be on the end of the crankshaft.

Contact Rob Gill as he makes some nice brass etched tags.

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
That would have a cast bronze tag. Contact Bob Herder who sells Domestic model kits. He has made acouple of repop pecker tags. Look on the side of the hopper on the PR side for a single screw hole. That would be from a Brackett Shaw and Lunt tag. If it has 2 small holes on the side of the cyl it would have a small cast plain Woodpecker tag. Rob

Donnie Hargreaves

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2020
I think I have wrong carb. on this engine. You can see it in picture i posted.If it is wrong carb. I would be in the market for one. Thanks

Heavy Metal

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
Woodpecker switched from their "beehive" style to a Lunkenheimer mixer in early 1913 so it is possibly the correct one. Below is an ad from 1914 that shows a Lunkenheimer mixer.

Attachments

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
The original Lunk carb in a Pecker goes into the bottom of the head. Looks like Don's engine has the carb in an elbow on the front of the head. The new style Beehive goes into the top of the head. The early style engine is a side valve type without a rocker arm.On the early style the beehive goes into that elbow. if Don could post a pic of the working side we can tell for sure.Rob

Jonathan Widelo

Registered
Nice Find Donald !!, I have seen a few engines like that, but not many ! Mostly you see Woodpecker engines with "Behive" carbs on top of the head, these carbs were made by a company called Monarch. Other used Lunkenhimer Mixers on the bottom of the head, these were models K, KS, KBB, etc. What you have looks like a Type J engine with a Type E Head what would be used on a tank cooled engine on a hopper cooled Woodpecker, most likely it is a pretty early type J. My 3 1/2 Tank Cooled Type E is from 1904 is has 5 spoke flywheels and a forged Bronze Connecting rod. Nearest I have been able to find were Type E Woodpecker were made from 1903 till about 1910 and Type J engines were made starting in 1910. Not much is know about Middletown Machine Company after 1915. They made engines starting in the 1890's under the name of Miami, since Middletown Ohio, resides in Miami County in Ohio. The Woodpecker name was first introduced in 1903 and was an engine that was marketed for farm use. Not much literature has survived, mostly catalog and a few dealer sheets. Bracket Shaw and Lunt, were some of the largest dealers of Woodpecker engines. There were also many smaller dealers, I even heard of one run out of a hardware store in Ellington CT.

I added a couple pictures of some Woodpecker engines I saw at shows this year!
~Jonathan

Attachments

Donnie Hargreaves

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2020
Looking for a gas tank for this engine. Dimensions to build one or used one. The tank does not mount on water hopper. My engine has the boards on the skids that hold the tank. Are the tanks the same? Also need beehive carb. to complete this project . Thanks

Heavy Metal

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
This is what I have written down of measurements taken from a 3.5hp Woodpecker. Tank is 9 inches in diameter with a 1/4 inch flange on the ends. The length is 15 3/4 inches long. The gas cap is in the middle of the tank. The outlet is 1/4 inch pipe on one side of the tank. John Wanat will be able to make the tank for you.

JWK10

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/16/2019
Rob, while we're on the subject of Middelton/Woodpeckers, do you (or anyone for that matter) know of anyone making repro middelton mufflers for the 6 hp? Think its a 2" NPT. Thanks. John K.