• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Woodpecker Engine

Mike Monnier

Hoarder
Last Subscription Date
12/18/2019
That tag is different from others I've seen. Usually these engines have an oval tag screwed to the top of the hopper. That may explain the hole in the center of the tag. They are nice running engines and the speed control is nice for slowing the engine after it is warmed up

Earle

Registered
As you know there are variations to every engine, but I don't think this is the correct tag for this engine. 2 hp KBB run at 500 RPM, and the "R" at the end of the serial number usually is associated with a 3hp. Casting numbers on yours should be like, head K-3, Flywheel K-17, Rocker arm K-5, Crank guard K-12 and the serial number usually reads like mine, 994-K and it's an oval tag on top of the hopper. I have seen square tags on top of the hopper but they always end with a K and I have also seen square tags on the side of the hopper, single screw hole but still end with a K. My 3hp is 1014-R oval tag on top and all the casting numbers end with an R. I have more info if you want to private message me I will send it to you.

Heavy Metal

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
I'd like to see a better full picture of the tag and a list of some of the casting numbers. The "2" looks like it was re-stamped as the larger size and font don't seem to match the other numbers.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
If you get the engine running, DO NOT slow it down to display! The Woodpeckers are notorious for breaking cranks if they are slowed. Seems the crank throws are subject to stress fractures, and will shear. John Smith(Woodpecker John), had several, and supposedly had new ones forged. Not sure if he had it done before he passed on.

The stress of trying to accellerate the flywheels mass from a slow speed, caused the crank to twist where the throws met the mains, resulting in a lot of stress at that point. Eventually the stress would result in a spiral or shear fracture. Some engines would just bind up and stop, others would continue to run making weird noises as they ran, chewing up the main bearings as they did so. John had told me about the problem and had shown me several carnks and had asked me what I thought. The final one was a 2 HP he was to purchase at the show in Jacktown. That engine was running very slow and was making a weird squeal every time it fired. John thought it was a loose key, but when we stopped the engine, the key was tight. When re-started, I noticed that the off side flywheel was lagging behind the working side by about a 1/4" when the engine fired - a noticable difference. Again, we checked the key and it was tight. John then grabbed one flywheel, and I the other and we pulled and pushed them. Voila! Movement between the crankthrow and the off side shaft and flywheel! We pulled the main caps and found a spiral fracture under the left side main. The metal appeared crystalline - a sure sign of a stress fracture. John bought the engine (for less money) and told me he was going to have cranks made. Unfortunately, that wa the last time I saw him before he passed. RIP John.
Andrew