• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Yanmar Nt 85 k

muzzery

Registered
Hi all. I’ve just bought these two units, and I get the feeling not many are collected here.
The big one is a yanmar nt85k. Smaller one nt70.
Now I think there’s not much needed for the 85, seems all it’s really missing are the valve stems and valve rockers.
My question is, are there any people out there with interest, knowledge, and maybe parts for this type of engine? I really like it, hope I can get one to go.
There’s many similar valve rocker sets available on eBay abroad, but I wold need to measure to see if something could be adapted from a similar more modern engine.
I may need to try India or some place where they still use these older types a bit?
I haven’t included pics of the 70, it’s missing a fair bit of parts.9454D9B8-65DC-4DFA-8155-852827A91503.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello Muzz.
I don't know why they don't show much interest but I like them too.
We have a few similar parts engines. Put some pictures and sizes of what you need up.
Cheers Scott

eddie bedwell

Registered
Hi Team,
some interesting videos on this link from Japan. You may find a vid. here of one.
Looking forward to hearing it run.
At the Cat Dealer we used to work on later 3 and 4 cyl. Yanmars out of excavators and such--very well made but expensive jiggers.
Cheers,
Eddie B.

muzzery

Registered
Hi
Hello Muzz.
I don't know why they don't show much interest but I like them too.
We have a few similar parts engines. Put some pictures and sizes of what you need up.
Cheers Scott
hi Scott.
I don’t know yet, exactly what is missing from the valve train.. because it’s missing lol.
I need the complete rocker assembly, the lifter rods, the rocker cover, and, the part I’m unsure of, is where the rods enter the engine casing. I’m not sure whether there are some seals, or hydraulic lifters, or whether the rods simply sit through the holes and into the cam. That area is a big mystery at the moment. I’ve posted a picture of under the cylinder. It’s a bit dark, but if you zoom in you’ll see two holes for lifter rods presumably.,there’s also a hole under the cylinder which I believe had a tap so one can drain the coolant. That probably can be remedied with stuff from the plumbing shop.
Thanks Scott, any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

Last edited:

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello Muzz
This is what I think is similar and any parts you can use, your more then welcomed to them.
It's a pity your so far away. You could have the lot.
Cheers Scott

cobbadog

Registered
Something that might help you out is a stephoscope camera. I bought one for my phone and it works alright and was under $25.00. It is extremely important that if you buy one it suits your make and model phone. With it you can poke it down those dark dismal places and with its own led light will show you whats doe

muzzery

Registered
Something that might help you out is a stephoscope camera. I bought one for my phone and it works alright and was under $25.00. It is extremely important that if you buy one it suits your make and model phone. With it you can poke it down those dark dismal places and with its own led light will show you whats doe
You read my mind there cobba, I had the same thought whilst trying to photograph the other night. It would be nifty to have a look around inside

Scotty 2

Registered
I did not know about the stethoscope camera gadget - what a great idea! Where are they obtainable from?
Almost anywhere. Inspection camera is another more common name. One thing to look out for is camera head size. Some are small, some are huge.

jayvee

Registered
"I did not know about the stethoscope camera gadget"
Digressing from the main topic
I use this gizmo, a Signet Wireless Inspection Camera with Recordable Monitor (Model QC-8712) from Jaycar
Got a couple of LED's in the tip for the 'come inside, look inside' situations. It can record video and take pictures
Also available is a 2 metre gooseneck extension (QC-8702). Great for inspecting inside boilers etc
The small monitor can be affixed to the handpiece or held remotely.
You can also plug into your computer and if you're really adventurous and want to share with your mates you can also plug into the TV to see what the camera sees.

Only drawback that I have found is everything viewed is arse about and back the front. (but that could be me)
IMG_8320.JPG IMG_8321.JPG

cobbadog

Registered
I picked mine up from FleaBay, BUT, make sure you know exactly what make and exactly what model phone you have and that the camera you are looking at is compatible.
When I was searching for one I had to read everything about the item to be certain that is would work with my Samsung Galaxy S5 which is now getting old like me but while it works it stays. By looking at one like jayvee has it is self contained so no issues with matching it up with the phone. I haven't used mine all that often but when I have used it is was a great help. Issues to be aware of are mine has a 6 or 7mm OD lense with led light so you can see where your going but even with the attachments they can be a bit tricky to drive and hard to make them go left or right so I attached the cable to a length of fencing wire, that helped a lot. As Scotty mentioned these come in different diameter lenses and lengths of cable. Mine was a basic model but it is good for what I wanted it to do. I first bought mine for looking inside the David Brown's fuel tank, which did scare me when I saw what was in there. Plus been inside the cylinders of David just for fun.

autosparkii

Registered
I have one of those Jaycar units.

I think it is only just useful.

I would recommend any smart phone based units.

Also polishing the lens "cap" part helps to keep from blinding itself.

jayvee

Registered
"Oi John, we might be able to get some tinware etc for your engine as well is it fits."

Ta Scotty, would be appreciated if you can help out.
I'll have to risk my life and open the shed door and venture inside to see what's needed.

When I last looked at the motor (back in 20130 The original fuel tank, cooling fan and air filter are missing. At the front of the motor, what appears to be some sort of oil indicator is broken and needs replacing.
Will let you know .

jayvee

cobbadog

Registered
If the oil indicator is a sight glass I have seen them for sale somewhere and I think they are held in place with a circlip or wire clip from the inside. Will need to try and think where I saw them.