• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Yates American J18 Planer Info Needed

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
we really need better pictures of the motor and how it is setup to make a good decession on how to go about it. if its belt driven swapping motors may be wise. if the motor cant be swapped out easily there are other ways of making it work.

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Sorry about that. It’s 220v. Direct drive. I also thought about putting a pulley on that shaft and driving it from a Lineshaft or a remote motor and pulley.
However, going 220 v single phase is much easier, I think?

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
going 220 v single phase is much easier, I think?
depends on what you got or can get and how much $ you want to spend. I have a phase converter that i built that would run that machine. this setup works well and gives you pretty close to 100% power with the three phase motor. maybe i can post some pictures of it. no rope starting and all that with this setup simply turn it on and then start the machine. I bought my motor used. you probably dont need as heavy contactors as i used but i would rather have heavier than needed than lighter.

parts list on mine

1) 5 HP 3600 RPM 220 volt 3 phase motor

2) a metal box to put the components in approx 16" x 16" x 8"

3) 1 allenbradley multi purpose timer set for 1 shot ~ around 5 seconds on

4) 1 good 3 pole contactor rated for 50 AMPS

5) 1 double pole double throw 50 AMP contactor

6) 1 start capicator

7) 2 run capicators

8) on/off switch

9) wire

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Since this motor fits into a recess in the machine I have to think your conversion idea is the best. Quickest way to the finish line, too.
Thanks!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I will dig this stuff out and attempt to get a video of how it works over the weekend. you may want to put in a 3 phase panel because with this setup you can run more than one machine just dont try to start more than one at a time. its not perfect but it does work. this comes in real handy when it is a problem changing out a motor. I had one built for me years ago that would start two 7.5 HP motors at the same time and you could reverse direction too. It was on a two post screw type car lift. I really wish i had taken notes on that one! that was getting out there in the outer limits of what you can do with a 5 HP motor.

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
I have about three-3 phase motor driven machines in a single phase shop. Your panel idea is another great one. I’m going to run lineshafts and belts (at first for show, only) but would prefer for everyday use to just crank up the motor on each machine as needed.
Thanks, again.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I know its been a while but i didnt forget! yellow line coming in is 220 single phase, line going to motor is that same 220 single phase only ran thru the contactor and one leg ran thru the second contactor feeding a start cap the second contactor is timed to drop the start cap out. after it is running it is back feeding into the run caps. video shortly "I hope"

Attachments

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
sorry about the 3rd picture, its a 5 HP 3600 rpm 3 PH motor and is the corect voltage coming into the shop, in other words its not 480 or anything like that. if you need any more info on the motor i can provide it, pretty sure its a 9 lead motor so you can change voltages on it but that is not needed because you dont have those voltages to work with and if you did you would already have 3 PH service.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
short video, you will have to play around with your run caps, this is just what i call the idler/generator. once you have it running and get your caps tuned in for your loads you turn it on then power up your 3 ph panel with it then on to your loads. its noisy and runs the whole time you need 3 ph, so i would sugest putting it somewhere you dont have to listen to it! we had one of these at a place i worked and it was started in the morning and ran the whole day until quitting time!
https://youtu.be/v1yGOCgpwDg