• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

You Just Don’t See These

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
I’ve been trying to build a authentic 1900-era machine shop for the last two years. I have the 25 x 35 1910 shop building gutted and ready to go. Locally, practically in every ag barn they had cast iron lathes and drill presses and mills that are cheap to buy and heavy to move. So, I have a good representation of (thankfully) inexpensive antique machines.
What’s really, really hard to find are the antique lineshafts, pulleys and line shaft hangers. This stuff was thrown away as soon as cheap electric motors arrived on the scene and all those overhead belts and apparatus could be removed.
So, imagine my amazement when I discovered on EBay a complete lineshaft “system” minus the old one-lunger that powered it. Maybe you guys stumble over this lineshaft stuff, everyday. For me, it’s an extreme rarity.
Anyway, I had to try to buy it.
This particular “system” does not have the large shafting or huge hangers. However, it was still running and being used recently. It’s complete and all the pulleys and belts are present and appropriately sized.
it’s a good day in old machine shop land!

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
I got tired of trying to “draw to an inside straight” by buying just bits and pieces here and there hoping I would be able to cob an antique drive system with disparate parts.
I talked to one antique lineshaft machine shop man who said he had to accumulate hundreds of pulleys in order to have the right pulley on hand. Sheesh!

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
If I knew what I needed...
There’s a book I was told to buy. A machinist’s guide by Rose. 100 years old. That explains all you need to know. I need to get back on the hunt for that. I couldn’t find the right edition. What I need to do is go back in time and take a machinist class. Lol.

Pete Spaco

Registered
We have put together a couple of lineshafts over the years. At one time we had donated line shaft parts all over the place. Three of us got together 10 or 20 years ago and focused on one particular setup, to be used in the blacksmith shop. We put all the parts that would fit into one pile. As you know, lineshafting comes in the odd sixteenths of an inch. We had components for 3 different sizes. We had a lot of pulleys that had bores too small for the size we chose, so we picked out all the pulley OD's that we still needed (or might EVER need) and I bored them to our "standard" size (on a vertical mill, since I had no lathe big enough).
We still had a lot of parts left over that we thought would work for something else some day. But, some guys from another threshing show visited our show grounds about that time, and told the board that our show had too much junk laying around, so the board tossed our stuff and a lot of other stuff away. We had been saving one particular shaft setup that had 5 automotive-type clutches on it for the machine tool area of the blacksmith shop. Poof! Gone!!!

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
LCjudge talk about the gauntlet! OSHA is about to blow a gasket. Lol
I would love to hang out and take measurements.
Pete, those automotive lineshaft clutches are SO expensive and rare now. I could use them all. The equipment I just bought has a idler and fork shifter. I’m thrilled.

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
With the drought and all the dead trees in the Sierra, it seems I have access to some big timbers. Horrible time for trees and a good time to get some big beams cut. I’m going for 6x8s. About five beams with two posts each.

Family Tradition

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/19/2020
I guess my wife and kids will throw all my stuff away, too.
History is being watered down every day.
Monson somebody some day will surely appreciate your work. It’s your responsibility to make sure someone who appreciates it will end up with it before it’s done away with. Best wishes. I’m looking forward to seeing what you accomplish

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
My lineshaft order from Washington State is about to be shipped. It’s always very stressful when this stuff is in transit.

Attachments

cornbinder89

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/11/2020
MM, I wish I could take back in time to when I was a kid. My father and grandfather took me to an oldtime saw mill in backwoods Maine. It was set up for water power, still had the wheel, but the line shaft in the 60's was driven by a surplus GM (Detroit) diesel and a massive speed reducer. Everything was flat belt driven and they left it so they could switch back to waterpower.
The mill and everything is gone now, only the mill pond remains. I've seen satellite pictures of the place. An OSHA nightmare but as long as I didn't stray far from dad or grandpa, I could go right into the mill., and we were just there to buy a little lumber. No "no customers beyond this point" back then. The logs were drawn up the ways, and the outer bark cut in 4 cuts, a men swinging a cant-dog would roll it for the next cut, most logs took several men with cant-dog's to roll. Long levers to clutch in the bed, or other operation, a kids dream, and talk about LOUD!
You would have loved it!

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
I bought an ancient saw mill swing saw cut off saw from Maine. Like 30” blade. No covers no shields no nothing. Hangs from the ceiling. Belt driven. The handle is inches from the blade.
You have seen some stuff, CB!

DKamp

Registered
First thing to do... is get a big wood-turning center going... Cut, nail, and glue planks to make wood sheaves, and then turn them smooth, with proper crown. Remember- the iron pieces were expensive back then, the wood ones weren't so difficult to make...

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Imagine my shock when I found my paid for lineshaft lot relisted on EBay! I contacted seller, no response. I contacted EBay and it appears to be a glitch. Seller finally contacted me...
Talk about making me nervous!
The item hasn’t shipped. Seller is set on using Fastenal even though Fastenal doesn’t ship to CA. That’s their official position.
Always something!

Family Tradition

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/19/2020
Imagine my shock when I found my paid for lineshaft lot relisted on EBay! I contacted seller, no response. I contacted EBay and it appears to be a glitch. Seller finally contacted me...
Talk about making me nervous!
The item hasn’t shipped. Seller is set on using Fastenal even though Fastenal doesn’t ship to CA. That’s their official position.
Always something!
Not cool! I wish you best of luck. Always someone out there trying to make an a** of you. I’ve been following your threads with interest. Best wishes!