• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

You might be an engine collector if......

Will

Registered
Last week my son and I were watching a comedy show. It was, (you might be a redneck if...) my son asked me if he could put it to iron collectors. So here goes,

1. You might be a collector if your wife mistakly thinks her garage was to park her car.

2. You might be a collector if you have a can of Go-Jo next to the dishwashing soap.

3. You might be a collector if you buy your truck by how much weight you can cram into it.

4. You might be a collector if you have been forced to buy a new home because you ran out of room to put your toys.

5. You’re the only person on your city block to have farm tractors in your back yard.

6. You plan your family vacations around engine/tractor shows.

7. You might be collector if your neighbors just can’t understand why you have all those funny looking air compressors..

8. You might be a collector if your washing machine runs on gas.

Please feel free to add more to the list.

Will

Nork

Registered
You might be a collector if you read this and nod

You might be a collector if you type and brand just by serial number

Chris Kirk

Registered
You tell your wife about a good deal you got on an engine and she says "Hell, the mag is worth that much!" (happened to me :D )

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Chris Kirk said:
You tell your wife about a good deal you got on an engine and she says "Hell, the mag is worth that much!" (happened to me :D )
Chris,
You just started a laugh riot between my wife and I!!:crazy:

Mike

Jebaroni

Registered
I especially like the one about "the funny lookin' air compressors".....Priceless!

If you have ever petitioned Glade(TM) for an air freshener in the scent of "PB Blaster" and/or "Marvel Mystery Oil".

If People have ever stopped at your garage to drop stuff off, having mistaken it for a junkyard.

If you just laugh when you go to Northern Tool and see 4hp engines LESS than 500 lbs.

Jim McCracken

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/31/2016
You might be an engine collector if the only paint in your inventory is either green or red.
You might be an engine collector if you've had more than one hernia operation
You might be an engine collector if you name your son Otto.
You might be an engine collector if your shop has more square feet than your house.

Jim Thistle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2017
This was on the ‘Stak about two years ago under the title “Real Gas Engine Men” but it’s all good. You might be an engine collector if

1. You travel three hours to a sale, stand around until 4:00 PM in the cold rain, waiting for the four engines to sell, and not get one of them.
2. You know the sound cast iron makes when over-tightened in the vise.
3. You have found Styrofoam coffee cups and everything else in water hoppers.
4. You have paid too much for an engine.
5. You have had engines given to you
6. You have sold engines and just made “gas money”.
7. You occasionally pick up a “good deal”.
8. You know who C. H. Wendell is.
9. You know what J-B Weld is.
10. You enjoy ALL engines, fully restored or caked in grease, side-shaft or Maytag.
11. You have lived in the back of your pick-up truck during shows and swap meets.
12. You no longer scold your children for talking to much on the phone, since you talk for long periods when an “engine buddy” calls.
13. You know who Harry Matthews is.
14. You have found an engine “barn-fresh”.
15. You know that this is a hobby and you’re not supposed to make money.
16. You will not say a word if the wife buys a new dress, sofa, or car.
17. You know what it feels like to have an engine start first crank, at a show, on a beautiful sunny day, with a crowd of tourists watching.
18. You know what it feels like to have an engine never start after 75 cranks, at a show, on a beautiful sunny day, with a crowd of tourists watching.
19. You need that part you’ve had for 2 years and just sold last week.
20. You invest in machine tools and accessories instead of golf clubs.
21. You have occasionally left the oiler on, all night.
22. You can cut a head gasket with a ball-peen hammer.
23. You are familiar with the term “butt-buggy”.
24. You have a box full of old grease cups and no two are alike.
25. You have explained many times the difference between hit & miss and throttle governed.
26. You have met some wonderful people, total strangers, who gave advice, AND loaned out parts.
27. You can tactfully tell a new collector why his 1 1/2 HP “LB” is not a hit & miss engine.
28. You have traveled to places with exotic names like Canandaigua, Waukee, Sistersville, and Portland.
29. You can attend an auction with the checkbook and without a note from your wife.
30. You travel hundreds of miles in one day to pick up or deliver an engine.
31. You have engines that start “first-crank”.
32. You have engines that won’t run (yet).
33. You will always help a friend with their engine first.:wave:

Eric Schultz

Registered
You might be an engine collector if....you can't wait for your wife to fall asleep on the couch so you can go on "Smokstak"

You might be an engine collector if.....you have taken a bath in Comet.

You might be an engine collector if.....you slow down the car when passing barns and treelines.

You might be an engine collector if.....you can spot any kind of iron wheel from a half mile away.

oldironcollector

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/23/2016
Ladies and Gentleman, It is a sickness :brows:

* Your favorite scent is stale gas :rolleyes:

* Your patio tikki torches are "Yellow Dogs" filled with Citronella :eek:

* You know that a "Yellow Dog" isn't just a Labrador!!! :crazy:

Denny

Dave Nielsen

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
02/07/2018
You might be a engine collector if people give you strange looks when your bringing your new toy home on the trailer.
You might be a engine collector if you go and build new pole barns instead of a house.
You might be a engine collector if when you pull into a gas station you hear people say O` look at the steam engines.
You might be a engine collector if all your clothes smell of stale gas.
You might be a engine collector if the term "some ones junk is somebody elses treasure" applies to you.
Dave

Neale Behm

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2009
You might be an engine collector if you have places like Starbolt and Hit & Miss on your speed dialer. :eek:

BobRR

Registered
You are a engine collecter when places like star-bolt,hit&miss and otto have your credit card no. on file!;) BobRR:bonk:

S

Sky

AND......you just might be a engine collector / nut...if you find you are running out of space to keep your restored engines in the shop so you keep them in the basement and house.....and bedroom.

S

Sky

Sky said:
AND......you just might be a engine collector / nut...if you find you are running out of space to keep your restored engines in the shop so you keep them in the basement and house.....and bedroom.
and i would say closet but no can do.....i got that stuffed with engine parts! LOL :D :brows:

Roo

Registered
You might be an engine collector if....... you spend the money for the engagement ring on an engine:shrug: ...... and subsequent purchases fall under Bucks Night:crazy: , Wedding:D and Honeymoon:eek: .

Cheers,
Roo

Roo

Registered
And if any of you guys:rant: AKA BDMELON, CRAIG, ECONOMYBOB, ANOTHONY, SUPERGLIDE and the rest of you know who you are back Chantal on this ill :bonk: you :rant:

Foos Jr

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2013
I've got a few more for you on this subject,

You might be an engine collector if you can hardly stand up at work, because you were out loading your truck until midnight the night before.

You might be an engine collector if you MOTHER'S PIANO top is covered with model engines.

You might be an engine collector if you get caught making making engine parts at work.

You might be an engine collector if your graduation party doubles as an engine show. (YES, MINE DID)

You might be and engine collector if you will work on an engine for 12 hours and not make it work, but you will not spend 1 minute with your in-laws.

Hope some of you have had these sort of things happen to you.

BDMelon

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/29/2008
:eek: Roo, well ,never when that far, on engines buying:bonk: but its possilbe, since we can not wear are rings anymore, might just have too think about going to pondshop , but this might causes some:rant: with someone

:wave: melon

P.S. don't worry Chantal, it will all wrk out, you both have to open about
this. both can be happy in this hobbie

BDMelon

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/29/2008
:shrug: guess we are all a bunch of rednecks, but it sure is a great thing to be restoring pieces of old iron, for the preservation of history, is what is all about, plus its been fun so far, with family:D