• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Young Metalshaper Looking for More Tools

charliesd250

Registered
Hi,

I’m usually more involved in the small engines area of this forum but the last couple years have led me down the path of coach building and higher end fabrication for automotive. I’m 23 years old and have been focusing on tig welding, forging and shaping. Had an intern opportunity that became a full time job and have been taking classes with some shapers such as Peter Tommasini, Richard Mullin and Wray Schelin. I currently have a large english wheel with flats and full radius dies, a tig welder, brake, a couple nice fabrication tables, home built hand held planishing hamemr etc. i’m looking for any hand or power tools related to the automotive/aircraft division of this work. Also, I’m super excited for the Center of Metal Arts moving into the defunct Cambria Iron Works in Johnstown, PA. I’ll travel any distance and consider any tools that need TLC. Restoring or rebuilding them is right up my alley. I don’t have a super star budget but I can make ends meet for the right stuff. Thanks! Here is some of my past work...

Thank You!

Charlie

Big Bird

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2018
Re: Young metalshaper looking for more tools

For being 23 years old you have skills that are normally acquired over a long period of time...
I have been beating sheet metal in to submission for the past 25 years and your skills are apparent to me...
Good. Luck in your search for tools,
But remember the best tool in your bag will always be your brain....

charliesd250

Registered

Thanks for the complements Big Bird! As far as baleigh tools go, I already have a few (wheel and a mag brake) but some of the tools made during the war effort just can’t be beat! I found an original Yoder last month about an hour from me but the price was more than a new double head cast Pettingell

Big Bird

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2018

Check out a few of these sites.
Metalcraft tools. www.metalcrafttools.com decent price, good tools and tooling
Fournier, www.fournierenterprise.com
A little more pricey but good quality
Tce corporation. Phone # 800-886-2611. Call and request literature on sheet metal equipment..These guys sell Big boy tools and Shaper's...some of the best, expensive, Only if you have deep pockets.

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020

Charlie I have several of the hand operated bench top machines for turning edges , beads . flanges. they come with extra wheels-shapes. They are rusty , need a lot of TLC. You can have them. Give me an Email or PM. Ron

Corn

Registered

Charlie how about posting more pictures of your project

charliesd250

Registered

More stuff I have been working on:

Dodge rear fender buck

68 Mercury cougar lower repair panel made by hand:

Porsche road race door panels

On a side note, I have had some luck finding some tools but please keep an eye out! Looking for a power hammer and a pullmax. Wouldn’t mind a planishing hammer of a different configuration.

Thanks

charliesd250

Registered
Wanted to bump this up again. Still looking for a Pullmax and anything power hammer related. I have been working on the fender I made a buck for and various other sheetmetal projects. Lots of dent removal and metal finishing projects!

Charlie

Attachments

charliesd250

Registered
Here is some of the equipment I have since acquired and rebuilt or restored. The Baileigh english wheel I got from a shop that burned down. I disassembled it, blasted and replaced all bearings. Sent anvils out for grind and polish. Both TCE/Erco shrinkers received the same treatment. I’m looking for more dies for them. The planishing hammer I built using an Airboss #2 motor and an old band saw frame. A couple rotary shears have been fixed up as well. Wrapping up the restoration of a Chicago 30 ton press brake now. Took everything apart and cleaned/blasted and repainted. I take good care of the tools so I know they will take care of me for many years.

Charlie

Attachments

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Charlie: I have a benchtop slip roller that needs a little tlc. I was going to clean it up and use it in my shop, but I really do not have the room for it. If you need one, come pick it up and it's yours. If you already have one, just disregard my post.

---------- Post added at 07:19:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18:26 AM ----------

Forgot to add that it is approximately 48 inches long.

charliesd250

Registered
Charlie: I have a benchtop slip roller that needs a little tlc. I was going to clean it up and use it in my shop, but I really do not have the room for it. If you need one, come pick it up and it's yours. If you already have one, just disregard my post.

---------- Post added at 07:19:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18:26 AM ----------

Forgot to add that it is approximately 48 inches long.
Thank you for the offer! I do need a slip roll but Rhode Island is a bit of a drive from the Philadelphia area. I’ll keep it in mind.

Latest couple projects have been a custom shaped firewall for a SBC powered 65 C10 with a 5 speed and also did some custom floor pans.

Still hunting for a power hammer. I managed to acquire a nice pullmax for a fair price a couple months ago.

Attachments

charliesd250

Registered
Little update:
I purchased a Pullmax P5 in August. Excellent machine and i use it almost every day.... still no power hammer to be found yet. I spend about a day a week driving looking for one. Last week I went to Chicago to install the fender I made.
Charlie

Attachments

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Fantastic work !! You are a very talented guy. Having the tools enables the work to be done. Having the skill gets it done! Its none of my business and if you prefer not I certainly understand. But, could I ask how many hours you had in making that rear fender? Great job.

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
That particular Dodge rear fender is getting really hard to find. My goodness, you do nice work!
Good luck getting more of the tools you need. Whenever I personally find old sheet metal fabrication stuff, it seems like the price is always high. Not so much on just antique drill presses and lathes, etc.
If you can already fabricate an antique fender from scratch, your tool search might be ratcheting down?? What else do you need?
Thank goodness (for the less talented like me) for Central CA. That sheet metal is still available, here. Whew!

charliesd250

Registered
Fantastic work !! You are a very talented guy. Having the tools enables the work to be done. Having the skill gets it done! Its none of my business and if you prefer not I certainly understand. But, could I ask how many hours you had in making that rear fender? Great job.
thank you! I‘d say I had about 120 hrs in metal work and about 10-12 in body work and paint work. Most shops, those numbers are the other way around!

charliesd250

Registered
That particular Dodge rear fender is getting really hard to find. My goodness, you do nice work!
Good luck getting more of the tools you need. Whenever I personally find old sheet metal fabrication stuff, it seems like the price is always high. Not so much on just antique drill presses and lathes, etc.
If you can already fabricate an antique fender from scratch, your tool search might be ratcheting down?? What else do you need?
Thank goodness (for the less talented like me) for Central CA. That sheet metal is still available, here. Whew!
Thank You!

The main tool I am looking for is a power hammer. I was using one at a friend’s shop to build this. In reality, you can do this with basic hand tools and a bag or tree stump. Having the serious equipment just makes for an easier, faster job!

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
An old fashioned power hammer like a Little Giant? Or a newer one?
They are certainly around. Prices range $250 to $10000. That’s what I’ve seen. I was lucky enough to find a $250 Schulyer at a estate sale. I’ll have to add a motor or drive it with a overhead fiat belt.

charliesd250

Registered
An old fashioned power hammer like a Little Giant? Or a newer one?
They are certainly around. Prices range $250 to $10000. That’s what I’ve seen. I was lucky enough to find a $250 Schulyer at a estate sale. I’ll have to add a motor or drive it with a overhead fiat belt.
Here is what I am looking for. Made by Pettingell or Yoder. Most common in the aviation industry

Attachments