• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Your experience with Seafoam?

smokey honda

Registered
I have a Toro that only runs off of Starting fluid in the cylinder. The carb is most likely plugged. Should I take the lazy approach and try seafoam, or just take the extra time to take off the bowl and clean out the jet? Have any of you tried Seafoam? Does it work?

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
I would take it apart and clean it. I've never had any luck with snake oil engine treatments, but I've heard people rave about the stuff.

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
The only thing Ive seen work without taking a carb apart is this stuff called Mecahnic In a Bottle. You have to purge it undiluted into the carb woth no fuel and let it sit over night. Amazing stuff. I would still take the carb apart though and do it right.

BlkBeard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Seafoam is great stuff.
I use it all the time.

One of my service vans was running rough, my friend who's a very experienced auto mechanic recommended I try it to clean up the injectors. Worked like a champ, after a few miles there was a night and day difference.

Now I toss in a bottle every 4-6 months.

I just started adding it to my gas can for the mowers & generators etc. I wasn't having any issues with them, but figured it can't hurt.

As far as Cleaning out gummed up carb, I think that's beyond anything except disassembly & cleaning

Little Ralph

Registered
I'd would take it apart and clean it good in order to do yourself a favor in the long run. I tried sea foam to clean one out before but had little luck as it would move the gum and varnish from spot to another than I ended up taking it apart anyway. I've heard great things of sea foam and normally run it in my engines to help keep gum and varnish cleaned out but give it a good cleaning first.

3VO

Registered
Once a carb is so bad the engine will not run it is to late for any sort of cleaner you add to the fuel. They are best used to prevent trouble.

MoRo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/15/2019
Seafoam will help clear up fuel issues in an engine that is running. If the carb's gummed to the point of not running, it's too late for Seafoam. This stuff is, as BlkBeard mentioned, is best used as preventative medicine.

HBurk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/04/2019
Seafoam is good stuff, if used for it's intended use, and at the proper times. :crazy: :wave: :eek:

Little Ralph

Registered
I've soaked carbs overnite in AV gas and soaked them overnite in seafoam both worked but had better luck using torch tip cleaners depending on how gummed it was.

Yukon

Registered
The jet is right hand thread, shipping tag wire, and also single stands of aircraft cable work to clean jets.

smokey honda

Registered
Although the carb jets were clogged 100% It seems no fuel is getting to the bowl. And when I prime it I can't feel it priming any gas.????

Restofire

Registered
You have to check for fuel flo from the gas tank, the fuel line, and at the junction where the fuel line goes into the carb, (careful if this is the plastic fitting), If the engine is a Tecumseh ? My Toro is, I seem to remember a small screen that is internal at that particular fitting ? Hope I'm not having a senior moment ! and the trick was to blow air out of that fitting from the inside of carb out. hope this helps.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Check the fuel valve and inlet to the carb. The valve may have ruber parts, now swelled and bad or the inlet may be blocked with debris. Disconnect carb from tank sypply, and see if you are getting fuel. If not, check valve and line from tank. If you have gas, check inlet.

wagswitte

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/17/2014
I've used Lucas oil a friend of mine told me about it use it in my car and truck helps keep the injector's clean also use it in the boat and jet ski cause they set a little longer without getting run all the time just my 2 cents worth.