I came across this 20" rotary power mower a week or so ago. It's a 20" push type powered by a B&S 6BH. It has an aluminum deck which had been cracked and repaired a few times. The cracks were from things thrown off the blade and the repairs were done nicely with TIG Heliarc welding process. The engine turned over easily and had good compression. I was told that it had not been run for many years. When I got it home, I found water in the fuel tank and carb and the fuel line was plugged. There was no spark. I cleaned out the fuel system, pulled the flywheel and cleaned and gapped the points, cleaned and gapped the spark plug, put everything back together, poured in some fresh gas, and checked the oil. It started on the second pull and ran beautifully! Good power and no smoke. So far, so good. Now the fun starts- the only identifying marks anywhere on the mower or engine are the badge on the handle bar which says Firestone power mowers around the outside and an old english "F" in the center. Also a few date codes. One on the underside of the mower deck and the other on the underside of the flywheel. These indicate that the parts were made in December and November of 1957. There is no manufacturers name on the mower and no model, serial# or type on the engine. I was able to determine that it was a 6BH by contacting Briggs and Strattons help line. Mike at B&H was very helpful and gave me a wealth of information including an "Antique operators manuals" link which gave illustrations and part numbers for many types of antique and vintage engines. The illustration for the 6BH shown there matched my engine to the last detail. The part numbers listed allowed me to order the parts I need to put the engine in like new condition. I still have no clue who made this mower for Firestone or what the model is called. This is mostly why I'm posting it on Smokestak. I'm hoping one of you will come back with something like" OH yeah! It's a Hubbertson nunsuch they made a bazzillion of 'em!" Meanwhile, I have taken the mower apart, bead blasted everything except the motor block, ground down, filled and sanded the deck, rebushed the wheels and axles and repainted everything the correct original colors. Great fun!
26.2 KB Views: 380
32.2 KB Views: 693