• Join us and fill out the registration form with your INTERESTS, your CITY, STATE, COUNTRY, NO ZIP CODES! Your account is then manually checked and approved. Please follow these instructions by using City, State, Country in your location! Incomplete applications will be REJECTED. If you like what you see here, PLEASE SUBSCRIBE and support our web site! -- Harry

Ideal Power Mower (Watch your fingers!!!)

Junkologist

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
I just picked this Ideal mower up last week. Got it running pretty easy. It had just been sitting around for years. The first time I got it running I had the fan off the engine. The next time I ran it I had the fan on it. Well, I ran it outside and it was just getting dark. It was running a little lean and guess what, I reached down to adjust the mixer and forgot about the fan that I couldn't see in the dark and that was not there the night before. That thing bites pretty hard!! Too big gashes in my finger, plus it cracked my finger nail down by the cuticle. I just got a refresher course in respecting this old machinery. I have a pretty good track record too. This is my first injury in 30 years of messing with this stuff. Never let your guard down and keep your wits about you!

Attachments

• finger red-e easy ideal 001.jpg
    finger red-e easy ideal 001.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
looks like a couple of battle scars will follow that one you are lucky it didnt take your fingers off:O:O:uhoh::eek.john

Nice mower.

I manged to do something similar, sticking my finger into the fan, on my Model B John Deere tractor a few years ago. Something you don't soon forget!

Nice mower and runs good too. Bummer about the digit though. I think we all times we wish we could turn back the clock. Wasnt there someone on here a couple of years ago that was adjusting the governor and got sucked into the flywheels. I cant seem to remember the name or engine....maybe a 10hp Famous? The picture showed him standing all beat up and still wearing a piece of t-shirt and part of his pants standing next to his engine.

Tim,
The guy you're thinking of is the late John Hammink from The Netherlands.

I purchased one of these mowers recently. Neat machine. I need the reel mower that mounts in front to make mine complete. I wonder how many of these Ideal mowers there are in existance.

Ralph,
I believe there's a fair number of Ideal mowers kicking around yet, but there are few that still have the actual mower with them.

Well if a mower attachment is still kicking around I would like to find out what the length is is. Better yet maybe someone can kick one my way.

Glad you survived with finger still intact. Safety is something that is easily forgotten in the excitement of the moment... and safety is something that should be discussed every day so we all remember!

Nice mower, I'll bet those were for the "rich" folks back in the day when they came out! Should be really neat to display at shows... with proper barriers set up to keep everyone out of the fan!

Did they come with a guard over the fan or a shroud?

ehpower2-
Professional stitching job. I didn't take home econimics in school.:D

Ralph-
The mower on mine is 30" wide. It has the model R engine. They made smaller ones.

smgussey-
As far as I know, they did come with a shroud. A friend of mine knows of a guy that reproduces them. I'm going to look into getting one made. Either that, or I'll paint the fan blades bright yellow!:brows:

This is the first time I am using this site so I hope I can get an answer to my question. I just got an Ideal Power Lawn Mower Engine and I am confused about how much oil to put in the crank case. It's a Model R #3270 from about 1913. The information I have says to put 1/4 pint of oil in crank case. If this engine is using the splash system, it doesn't seem to be near enough. How do you know when you have the correct amount of oil in the crank case?
Thank you for any help you can give me.
arnandi

There should be just enough oil in the crankcase so the rod can just touch it as it comes around.

Thanks, I wonder how the splash system in the crank case works, if the rod just touches the oil in the reservoir. I can't see it splashing to much, but if it works for you I am going to set it with the lowest part of the rod just touching the oil. Thanks again.

It doesn't take much at all to get the oil splashing around in there. All it takes is a fine mist. If you put too much oil in there, the engine will smoke more than a Maytag!

Thank you again. The oil mist does make sense to me. I have another question: The carb leaks gas when the fuel is turned on. Is there some kind of float system to stop the gas from coming from the tank? I cannot find a picture of what the inside of the carb looks like and I'm hesitant to take it apart. Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks once again.

At the bottom of the mixer (carb), there should be a pin hanging down with a light spring on it. This is the stem of a poppet valve which, when seated properly, prevents the gas from running right out the air intake. There is a small fuel orifice in the seat of the poppet valve. When the suction of the intake stroke lifts the poppet valve, the fuel is drawn into the air stream from the orifice. You probably have dirt or gummy fuel deposits on the seat preventing it from seating properly.

Also.............It says in the manual,to be sure to shut the gas valve off when the engine is not running. :brows:

Back