• Join us and fill out the registration form with your INTERESTS, your CITY, STATE, COUNTRY, NO ZIP CODES! Your account is then manually checked and approved. Please follow these instructions by using City, State, Country in your location! Incomplete applications will be REJECTED. If you like what you see here, PLEASE SUBSCRIBE and support our web site! -- Harry

Nasco lincoln

A

acasteel

Does any know where i can find a nasco lincoln??

Oct-Taractor_Show032.jpg

:wave:
Can you tell us a little more about them, and the area of origin ?
Neat looking little machine, thanks for posting.

This tractor was made by Lincoln Tractor Company and was on the market by 1947. This model "Shows a picture" used a salsbury single cylinder engine of 6.5 horsepower. Weighing 750 pounds, it was available with various options including several different cultivators. It was also equiped with a pto shaft, both to the front and to the rear of the tractor. Nothing is known of the lincoln after 1948. This information comes from the book, Standard Catalog Of Farm Tractors by C.H. Wendel. The only difference in the tractor in my book and the picture above is the engine. The one in the book even has the same front mount plow.

Forgot to mention that they were made in Los Angeles, California

Circa 1948 Lincoln
Manufactured by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp., San Diego, Ca.
This Lincoln tractor is powered by a 6 1/2 horsepower Wisconsin Model "AEH" engine and has three forward and one reverse speed.
Lincoln1950_2.jpg

That one is my friends lincoln. It has a wisconson air cooled engine. It was belived to be some were around 700 to 800 pounds. It is single handedly the most rare tractor and mos. def. "a peice of history" That one in that picture was pretty old. I belive it was 1920's some time. It was made by a company wich i cant rember the name, Something like national iron works or something. Then they got bought out by nass co. the battleship building company in San Diego. It is said it was built in Chula Vista Ca. Or in San Diego Harbor.

The last 2 posts were from my dad. This is me. acasteel

656223214_l.jpg

Thats my friend on it when he was finished with it.

I wanted to thank you guys for the replys back and for the info on it.

Hello,
My name is Carlos. My son Anthony was kind enough to post a picture of me driving this neat little tractor that a friend of ours brought to the Vista, CA tractor show.

This is what I found out about this machine: Lincoln was built by National Steel and Ship building (NASSCO) in San Diego, CA right after WWII when they lost the ship building contracts after the war. Due to some legal issue (unknown to me at this moment) they did not manufacture the Lincoln tractor under the NASSCO name but rather by the National Ironworks company name.
They started to manufacture tractors and stoves among other things to keep the company going and minimize layoffs. They copied the design for this tractor from another company back east (I do not know who at this moment but I was told that they did use the Salsbury engine) and hence why JKWidener noticed a difference in the engines (very keen eye). My understanding is that both of these tractors are almost completely identical. I want to research this some more.

The Lincoln had a Wisconsin AEH or AEN motor (the grey one in the picture) depending on what military surplus items they had in stock or could acquire. The paint on these motors was originally military green. The transmission in this grey prototype is a 1937 Chevy 3 speed 1 reverse transmission and the drive shaft has "Lincoln Patent Pending" stamped on it. It also has a direct link steering mechanism, very hard to steer.
The Crosley 3/1 transmission is what later went into production and the steering was a rack and pinion design (much better).

Another interesting bit of historical information that I was told is that the rear end on these tractors were left over waterproof hatch closing mechanical drive assemblies from the ships they built during WWII.
I find this stuff fascinating.

Thank you both for your replies.

I hope this helps preserve a little more knowledge of our history and where, why, and how some of these machines were made.

God Bless.

Back