• Join us and fill out the registration form with your INTERESTS, your CITY, STATE, COUNTRY, NO ZIP CODES! Your account is then manually checked and approved. Please follow these instructions by using City, State, Country in your location! Incomplete applications will be REJECTED. If you like what you see here, PLEASE SUBSCRIBE and support our web site! -- Harry

Struck Mini Dozer

SproutW

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
While I was idle on the Titan project I started a project for my son. It's a Struck mini dozer from the 1960's or 70's I'm guessing. She ran on a 6hp Tecumseh engine, which had little compression.

20110312170511.jpg

Picture47945.jpg

I was originally going to repower the Struck. Since I'm on a budget, I bought a cheap Greyhound engine for now. Noticed one of the drive bushings was shot, so the restoration began...

Picture47975.jpg

Picture48006.jpg

Almost all of the bushing and bearings were roached. They are all being replaced.

Picture47991.jpg

Time to replace those sprockets...

Picture47992.jpg

Picture47976.jpg

Picture47997.jpg

Off to the car wash with a good soaking of degreaser...

Picture48019.jpg

Picture48021.jpg

Lots of welding and body work. Time to fill in all those holes.

Picture48064.jpg

Picture48038.jpg

External fuel tank was removed.

Picture48026.jpg

Fitting fenders to make things a little safer for the little guy.

Picture48047.jpg

Track tensioners needed some extra support.

Picture48078.jpg

Engine mounting area found to have several stress cracks. New plate was welded in, but I don't have pictures.

Picture48023.jpg

More of the parts.

Picture48066.jpg

Picture48071.jpg

Pounded out the nasty dent in the plow.

Picture48074.jpg

Picture48061.jpg

Last edited:
The Struck was sent to the powder coater and returned with a nice shine. The internal parts I'm painting myself.

Picture48415.jpg

Picture48414.jpg

All new sprockets, shafts and bushings...

Picture48645.jpg

Picture48649.jpg

Next thing to repair are the worn and bent axle shafts. I'm currently making new shafts.

Picture48012.jpg

The tracks returned from the powder coater and turned out great.

Picture48413.jpg

Last of the pulleys getting cleaned up and painted.

Picture48650.jpg

Assembly begins...

Picture48640.jpg

Your son looks like he sure is enjoying the crawler.
You did an excellent job on rebuilding it.
It looks really nice.

I love it when a 2 hour rebuild to get it running project turns into a full bore restoration.. For me there is nothing cooler than a kid on a dozer. My 2 boys grew up running all my crawlers and still do till this day. Its a good way to get the kids involved and off the streets. ED B

Nice job on the fenders and body work. When you put the counter rotating jack shafts in, put the bearing mounts on the right side of the bulkheads. If they are on either the inside or outside it makes changing the belts a bear. If they are on the same sides the whole shaft can just go to one side. If I get a chance (it won't be soon, eye surgery tomorrow) I'll take some pictures of the track recoil springs I built. If a stone gets caught in the track it will break the bolt tensioning the track. If the bolt doesn't break, it will bend the front axle. A recoil spring keeps the track tight without over tightening yet allows the front axle to move back if something gets caught in the track.

Nice job on the fenders and body work. When you put the counter rotating jack shafts in, put the bearing mounts on the right side of the bulkheads. If they are on either the inside or outside it makes changing the belts a bear. If they are on the same sides the whole shaft can just go to one side. If I get a chance (it won't be soon, eye surgery tomorrow) I'll take some pictures of the track recoil springs I built. If a stone gets caught in the track it will break the bolt tensioning the track. If the bolt doesn't break, it will bend the front axle. A recoil spring keeps the track tight without over tightening yet allows the front axle to move back if something gets caught in the track.

Excellent Idea on the shafts Norm, thanks :brows: Look forward to seeing the recoil spring tensioner.

Some more progress. Levers installed along with a newly made axle shaft. One good evening and I will have the tracks and fenders installed.

Picture48660.jpg

Picture48661.jpg

Picture48662.jpg

Picture48659.jpg

Motor and the sprockets are installed. Some wiring, springs, tracks and some trim is all that is left. The end is very near :crazy:

Picture48663.jpg

Picture48664.jpg

Picture48665.jpg

She's pretty much done! Besides adding some rubber in the foot troughs and the plow, we are ready to dig some dirt.

I wired the girl and added the edge trimmings, which really made the Struck look nice in my mind.

Picture494.jpg

Picture496.jpg

Picture498.jpg

Got the levers and pull rope installed...

Picture497.jpg

Laying out the lines for some rubberized cork (cushioning) for the hood.

Picture500.jpg

Picture501.jpg

Getting the tracks installed and adjusted....

Picture508.jpg

Picture510.jpg

Getting the fenders installed. Initially I didn't like the looks of the fenders, but now I'm really starting to like them. Added the fenders as a safety element for my son.

Picture512.jpg

Picture514.jpg

Hope to have a better video next weekend.

Thanks everyone. As Ed had mentioned earlier, a two hour repower turned into a full out restoration. All because of a bad bearing, which revealed they were all ready to be replaced :bonk: My son will get to see the Struck for the first time today, and I'm excited to see his face. Now we have to name the Struck :eek: I'm not good with names. I have an idea on the track tensioners that Norm had mentioned earlier. I hope to order up some heavy springs and get the "tensioner" installed this next week.

I was told you could get these Struck's with a plow? Have no idea if that is fact or fiction. If I can fit a plow, that might be a nice option when my son is a little older. I'm also unsure which exact model Struck I have. I'm guessing an MD45 but it's only a guess at this point. Any ideas, I'm all ears, and again thanks.

Back