• Join us and fill out the registration form with your INTERESTS, your CITY, STATE, COUNTRY, NO ZIP CODES! Your account is then manually checked and approved. Please follow these instructions by using City, State, Country in your location! Incomplete applications will be REJECTED. If you like what you see here, PLEASE SUBSCRIBE and support our web site! -- Harry

Indentification of engine

D

David Bliss

I have a mid 1920s 1½ hp open crank petrol-paraffin tow tension ignition by Webster tripolar magneto. The crankshaft is supported on ball bearings. I have been told that it is probaly of American manufacture, either a Hobbs, British Lion or a Westonia. It was originally supplied by Mackies Ltd., Kingswood, Bristol, UK.

engine.jpg

Check the underside of the Webster mag bracket for a number. The number will start with 303, and then there will be a letter, followed by another number or numbers. Sometimes, however, the number is cast on top of the bracket, so the magneto may need to be removed from the bracket in order to find the number. If you post the number here on the 'Stak, one of us guys should be able to tell you what you have.

Re: Identification of engine

A side-on photo would be a big help.

Regards, Arthur Griffin

Re: Identification of engine

David, those photos did the trick!

I have a result for you. I think it is a Hobbs engine about 1922. Hobbs made small engines in Frome, Somerset, England. I have a magazine article about them. Send me your snail mail address and I'll get it copied and mail it to you.

Regards, Arthur Griffin

Back